Monday, August 23, 2010

I Am My Mother's Daughter

I always have thought there were some pretty major similarities between me and my mom. We both are creative (in our own ways), were a little kooky, we like to dress a little funky and different, we are both pretty calm and level headed and we are both low maintenance and could care less about make-up. But it wasn't until the other day that I realized I am much more like her than I thought.
For the longest time I didn't totally get it when she would say things to me like, "You know the color of my doors are really bugging me I think I am gong to re-paint them" (and her house has A LOT of doors.) Or, "I really don't like the way that piece of furniture fits, I need to find something else." I understood what she was saying of course, but I never felt like the doors needed new paint or the piece of furniture didn't fit. UNTIL the other day, sitting in my bedroom I began looking around and thinking, "I hate how the TV is way to big for that piece of furniture, I don't like that laundry hamper it doesn't fit with the style of the room, I hate how white those doors are, those frames just don't look right on the wall, this room just doesn't feel finished." And then, one by one, I began to check these things of my list of to-do's and before I knew a perfectly good room had been turned upside down and changed around to fit my liking. And I now can say with certainty, "I am my mother's daughter" Well we are crazy and somewhat perfectionists but at least we can admit it, most of the time that is. Here is a little look at the "improvements."

I made these flower arrangements and glued some trim and a button on the milk jar (converted into a vase)
I put fabric with different textures but all in the same neutral color palet
This is the piece of furniture I got from my mom for my birthday. Notice how well the TV fits on top along with the DVD player and cable box.
Two of these baskets work as laundry hampers. I bought these fairly cheap and spray painted them to mach the colors in the room.
I have been slaving over these doors all week. It took A LOT of effort but I finally think I am happy with them.

No comments: